[mythtv-users] Recomendations for FE/BE case in the UK?

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Sun Nov 15 19:20:23 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm UK based, and I've recently purchased a Silverstone GD04:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=gd04

Video review:
http://www.3dgameman.com/reviews/1104/silverstone-grandia-gd04-htpc-case

So far, I've been pretty impressed.

Pros
- It has a nice finish.  It's quite sleek and unassuming (no flashing
screens/lights)
- the 3x120mm fans are filtered (so the case should dust-up less often) and
they do shift a fair amount of air allowing me to install the Silverstone
NT01-E passive cooler
(http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=NT01-E&area) on
my 5050e AMD CPU - again reducing noise and hopefully maintenance.
- the case takes a fair amount of storage (2x3.5 drives, or a combination of
laptop drives) and full size ATX bits (with a mATX motherboard), yet seems
to have a smaller footprint than others.
- the hard disk sits in/on rubber mounts - meaning that my WD Green drive is
now nearly inaudible.

Cons
- The fans aren't "silent".  They're quiet, IMO, but not "silent".  That
cooling does make some white noise.  I'm sure you could get a regulator or
fan-mate to wind down the RPM, but that would hurt cooling.
- The switches on the front do look/feel a little cheap, and my first case
was returned as faulty because one of the switches was broken.  Though, for
a htpc, you shouldn't be pressing them too often.
- It still looks very much like a computer.  It's unassuming, and maybe
sleek, but definitely PC-looking.  IMO, Antec does a better job with
something like the fusion which looks more like a piece of audio equipment.
- I would have liked an integrated IR receiver.

Hope that helps - happy to take further questions.

MG