[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Sun Nov 15 23:46:50 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I've recently installed Myth 0.22 and get this issue.

I'm running a completely fresh install of Kubuntu Koala 9.10, and
0.22.0+fixes22594-0ubuntu1 from the repositories with the default theme that
was on there from first install (mythbuntu? - I can check if needed).  I'm
using QT to render the menus, and software decoding/deinterlacing.

Sat idle, my 5050e (AMD dual 2.6), hovers around 15% usage at 1Ghz.
I'm watching top now, and periodically it drops to almost zero for up to 30
seconds at a time, then bounces comes right back to 15%.

This thread is a little confusing as there seems to be two or more off-topic
conversations going on at once so I'm not quite sure what's relevant.  I'm
pretty sure fiddling with deinterlacers wont help this issue, but I'll
certainly try setting timezones if people think this is related and tell me
how.

I've also had to disable Desktop effects in KDE to get the frontend
rendering nicely without tearing.  Just a thought now, I wonder if disabling
compositing would help in some way?  I'm out of my depth here.

I'm happy to supply any further info if told how, although I was keen to
register my interest in this issue.

MG