[mythtv-users] Recomendations for FE/BE case in the UK?

Mike Dent mcdent at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 00:12:25 UTC 2009

2009/11/15 Greg Cope <gregcope at gmail.com>:
> 2009/11/15 Mike Dent <mcdent at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>> I've had a myth system running for 2 years or more, this has been a
>> combined FE/BE in a large Antec case at the side of the TV.
>> Whilst it is not pretty it is quiet.
>>
>> I would now like to build a new system, I want to run a combined FE/BE
>> again but I would like a smaller case, one that
>> the wife thinks is somewhat prettier! :)
>>
>> I am in the UK and would welcome any recommendations you have for a
>> new build 0.22 system.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mike
>
> Call me Mr Revo (R3610, Dual Core, Linux version 160).... might as
> well considering how often I seem to be suggesting it/mentioning it
> :-)
>
> Add an ESata/USB recordings drive, USB Tuner and something like
> myth{dora|buntu} with VDPAU.
>
> Watching SD (BBC1 recordings so reasonably high bit rate); 5% CPU on
> one Core, CPU 1% avg, Load 0.00!)
>
> Only issue is that it only has VGA and HDMI, no Svideo so you will
> need a "recent" TV
>
> What are your broader requirements?

Greg, I've seen a lot of talk of this recently, maybe a fair amount from you :)

One thought I had was to move my existing system to the garage,
install 0.22 and use one of
these acer boxes as a front end only. This would give me the WAF along
with VDPAU, which would be nice.

Can you tell me where they are available with Linux only, and for
160, seems a good price.
I have a recent TV so HDMI output is good.

What USB tuner are you using with it?

How are you controlling channel switching etc?

Thanks
Mike