[mythtv-users] System specifications review...

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Mon Nov 16 07:28:32 UTC 2009

    > Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 21:37:28 -0500
    > From: Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com>

    > For some reason, I feel drawn to the GeForce GT220, despite the fact
    > that the wiki doesn't say anything about its capability to handle
    > 1080i.  There was a fanless version announced, apparently fairly
    > recently, (see http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/NewsRoom/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsID=1299&MenuID=13&LanID=0),
    > but I can't figure out how/where to buy it.

Does anyone have any experience with how loud the non-fanless GT220 is?

I have an interlaced Sony CRT, and I'm considering using this card
as my output when I bring my system up to the current release---
especially now that danielk just today dropped PVR-350 support (why?),
and that's how I've been feeding my TV up to now.  (I still see mesages
here and on the ivtv lists from 350 users, so I imagine there may be a
bit of consternation when 0.23 hits the streets.)

I'd be interested in any solutions that look as good at SD as the 350,*
given how many people have complained that most current cards look
crappy when feeding interlaced SD---and I'm leery of buying -any-
video card with a fan, given that those fans tend to be noisy and tend
to fail.  So if anyone has any experience with particular VDPAU-capable
cards that -do- look as good as the 350, I'd like to know what model
and what relevant settings are in use.  In short, I'd rather not buy
a GT220 with a fan---even if it's not much money---only to discover
that I can't stand the noise -or- the picture...

[And for the fanless GT220---once it's released---just where exactly
is it supposed to be dumping that heat, anyway?  The page above makes
a big deal about its heatpipe, but does it just dump the heat in the
case and let the case fans deal with it (fine with me) or does it
require some additional infrastructure, like a special case?]

* Including having closed-captioning support that works; I presume
I'll have to pull all the embedded captions out and have the Myth
internal player display them, since the 350 allows sending them
directly to the TV so the TV's CC menu can control it, but I
seriously doubt any other card does this and will require them
to be rendered by Myth instead.  I've seen various reports of
things breaking/working in this department over time...