[mythtv-users] Recommendation for fanless heatsing with AMD Athlon II X2 proc?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Nov 16 15:29:25 UTC 2009

On Monday 16 November 2009 08:14:58 Mike Dent wrote:
> Hi (again)
> I'm considering using an AMD Athlon II X2 240 (socket AM3) processor
> in my new mythtv system:-
>
> http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3849
>79&CatId=2481
>
> I'm going to use the Antec Fusion case, which is 140mm high.
>
> I'm wondering which heatsink I can use for this processor, I assume it
> runs fairly cool, and can I get away without using a fan.
>
> Any recommendations would be welcome.

I would not try running without a fan. Technically it would void the CPU's
warranty (not that they have any way of knowing what you're doing), and with
any of the available speed control mechanisms you could reduce the fan noise
to very low levels. You are supposed to use an "approved" heatsink/fan
combination. Some vendors will not honor the warranty unless you order
an "approved" cooling unit on the same invoice, but that's pretty rare.

I'm using this with an AM3:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CMDK8-7152D-A5-GP-PB&cat=CPU

Cheap, and it has a ball-bearing fan.

My main concern is reliability and not noise, I'm sick to death of fans
failing on me.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org