[mythtv-users] Recommendation for fanless heatsing with AMD Athlon II X2 proc?

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Nov 16 16:01:56 UTC 2009

Mike Dent wrote:
> Hi (again)
> I'm considering using an AMD Athlon II X2 240 (socket AM3) processor
> in my new mythtv system:-
>
> http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=384979&CatId=2481
>
> I'm going to use the Antec Fusion case, which is 140mm high.
>
> I'm wondering which heatsink I can use for this processor, I assume it
> runs fairly cool, and can I get away without using a fan.
>
> Any recommendations would be welcome.
>
> Thanks again!
> Mike
> UK

I have a Phenom II quad-core 3.0 GHz (95W) CPU running with stock
heatsink and fan. The CPU temps in my full tower case hit the high 30oC
range with all 4 cores at 100% load. The northbridge gets hotter. I have
4 x 80mm < 20 db case fans. I never hear the CPU fan over the hard drive
noise and I have WD Green "quiet" drives. I would not worry much over
the CPU fan noise unless you are building a completely silent system.
Hard drive noise will likely be much more noticeable than CPU fan noise.

I have built a few systems with Antec Fusion cases and setting the 120mm
fans on low makes them nearly silent. I used 45W dual core CPUs and the
systems were very quiet.

Cheers,
James