[mythtv-users] System specifications review...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 16 17:20:57 UTC 2009

On 11/16/2009 11:59 AM, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> To give you an idea, I just got an AMD Athlon II X2 240 (non-e) (65W TDP)
>> system--running with a single hard drive, 4GB RAM, an "all-integrated"
>> motherboard based on AMD 780G/AMD SB750 chipsets, a nice 80 PLUS PSU.  It's
>> currently pulling an average of 76.216kWh/mo (based on a 30-day month,
>> calculations based on a test run of 64h54m, pulling a total of 6.87kWh).
>>  That's an average draw of 105.86W for the whole system.
>>
>> I have another similar system (single hard drive, 4GB RAM, all-integrated
>> mobo based on AMD 740G/AMD SB700, and the exact same PSU) and the only
>> differences are the motherboard/chipset and CPU.  The second system has an
>> AMD Athlon X2 5050e (45W TDP).  It's currently pulling an average of
>> 81.213kWh/mo (based on a 30-day month, calculations based on 2 test
>> runs--one of 18h05m and one of 29h05m).  That's an average draw of 112.80W.
>>
> Wow, thanks for the detailed insight and suggestions.  May I ask how
> you made your power measurements?  Did you plug your system into the
> wall through a power meter (such as a "Kill a Watt" meter)?  Or do
> more modern power supplies include some sort of built in sensors?  Or
> did you do something completely different?

Kill-a-Watt.  I /highly/ recommend getting one if you're actually
interested in reducing power usage.

Now that I look at my notes, I'm not positive that the "other system"
measurements are for the right system (the new system after switching to
the 5050e 45W TDP CPU).  I'll have to swap the Kill-a-Watt out to that
system and see if it's the new system or the old.

Mike