[mythtv-users] 0.22 autoexpire behavior

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 16 21:20:41 UTC 2009

On 11/16/2009 10:54 AM, Yan Seiner wrote:
> On Sun, November 15, 2009 9:19 pm, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> So, what happened to cause the issue in the first place?  If it is just
>> the problem that Myth can't delete because there's no room to record,
>> why didn't Myth delete shows before it ran out of space?  I don't know
>> for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Myth were busy trying to expire
>> a bunch of tiny recordings while your system was making one or more
>> high-bitrate (HDTV) recordings and the filesystem was filling faster
>> than it was emptying.  It won't do this with large files--as Myth will
>> take care to make sure it's deleting faster than all the recorders could
>> possibly write, but with small files, it may be spending enough time in
>> between deletes that it can't keep up.
> I think I have a part of the problem.  My database is seriously fubared.
> I did a dump and looked at it; seems that over the years I have collected
> tons and tons of cruft.  (mythmusic is looking for music in
> /lib/modules/*....)

That should be cleaned up.

>   There's multiple backends, frontends, etc. that no
> longer exist.

That doesn't matter/affect performance--and takes virtually no space.

> I've posted the dump at ... .

BTW, by gzip compressing the recording, you can generally make it about
1/5 the size or less and compression/uncompression takes very little
time or CPU. See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_Compression

>   I'd appreciate
> any and all help in fixing it.  I don't mind dumping everything but
> recording data.  All the recordings should be on selene at
> /data20/mythtv/recordings; everything else can be deleted.

All the recording metadata shows recordings on selene, so

> selene is the only backend and frontend ATM.  I need to add eos as a
> secondary BE/FE but I need to clean up the database first.
>
> How do I do that?

The best approach (though I doubt it will help) is:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup

> As for how this started, I reserve 60 GB on /data20, so myth should have
> lots of room.  I saw this coming over several days; I messed around with
> stuff but never could get it to delete and finally over the weekend it
> choked.
>
>> If that's the case, make sure you increase the "Extra Disk Space"
>> setting so you have a little more "breathing room" before the file
>> system fills up and Bad Things Happen (TM).
>>
> 60GB should be plenty.

But if the system is full, if that 60GB were used by some other process
between Myth's recordings, the drive would fill up completely when
Myth's not recording/expiring recordings, so it wouldn't be able to
start new recordings/expire more recordings.

I guess I should have said, "Increase the 'Extra Disk Space' and make
sure that /only/ Myth is using the filesystem."

Mike