[mythtv-users] Big reinstall 2/ FC12 planned; repository advice needed

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Nov 17 01:46:18 UTC 2009

stefan_jones at comcast.net wrote:
> When I installed my MythBox, FC8 was in its prime. About two years back?
>
> Things have been running so well that I haven't been following this list
> or the Fedora forums too closely.
>
> Now, I'm about to install Fedora 12 and Myth .22. I'll keep my old
> partition structure.
>
> One of the things still looming on my mind are repositories. I recall
> using "atrpms" for Myth, and "livna" only for a few things like nVidia
> drivers and kernel modules. I recall running into repository hell
> trouble by installing too much from livna.
>
> I see that things have changed a bit. No more "livna," replaced by
> rpmsfusion.
>
> Anyone care to recommend a strategy for dealing with repository choices?

Stick with atrpms. There is now nothing you need for mythtv which is not
available from the fedora repos plus atrpms.
The other choice is to go entirely rpmfusion...one or the other but not
both!
If you need/want some of the plugins you may need to hunt further
afield, although atrpms will cover mythmusic and mythvideo.
Whatever you do NEVER run any sort of general upgrade with either (or
both <shudder> enabled. If you want to upgrade a package do it by name!

The names of some packages have changed since F8. There is a long script
for installing dependencies for F10 on the wiki. Not too likely that
there will be any major name changes which would cause problems. That
script is for doing a compile from a scratch install, using svn. Not
entirely necessary if you are installing from atrpms.

Geoff

Geoff