[mythtv-users] Database upgrade 0.21 -> 0.22: issue to avoid

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 17 09:00:36 UTC 2009

On 11/17/2009 03:22 AM, James Warden wrote:
> before I restore a DB from a backup, I drop mythconverg. There's no chance anything is left from a previous mythconverg. To be honest, I don't know why I experienced this issue in the 1st place. My server was running on a backend version that dates back from july 2008. Upgrading to 0.22 should be painless, but it was not. So I can only assume the upgrade path is not bug-free.

I know for a fact--as I spent a great deal of time tracking down all
possible paths for the upgrade or initial DB install--that it's
/impossible/ for a default_authority column to exist in the
dtv_multiplex or channelscan_dtv_multiplex tables before the 1230->1231
DB upgrade--except with a modified (by something other than Myth)
database schema or when improperly restoring a backup.  This part (at
the very least) of the DB upgrade /is/ bug free.

If you didn't do an improper restore, then you probably applied a patch
to 0.21-fixes that broke your database schema and you didn't clean up
after the patch.

I'm saying this--and repeating it (trying to "get the last word") only
to prevent any other users from needlessly worrying or--worse--from
hacking their databases because the failure that indicates they didn't
properly restore their database backup was "written off as a bug in
Myth" on the lists.

If anyone gets the mentioned failure--duplicate column when doing the
1230->1231 DB upgrade, they /need to/ go back to their 0.21-fixes
database backup, restore it properly, and let MythTV upgrade it
properly.  Otherwise, those users will have corrupt data, and any
problems they experience with MythTV using corrupt data are theirs to
keep--along with the broken data.

Mike