[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

Guillaume Membré guillaume.ml at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 09:15:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 09:46, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 08:12 +0000, mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk wrote:
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> Re: 15% CPU usage in idle mythfrontend.
>> >This, I would say, is all just normal operation
>> >I.e. you guys don't have an issue so much as have a "feature
>> request." :)
>>
>> I really couldn't disagree more.  If an application server at work
>> used 15%
>> at idle it would be investigated.
>>
>> > Basically, there are way too many people grouping many different
>> > symptoms together as "Mythfrontend idle CPU consumption" issues.
>> I know that the waters are quite muddy as the thread is confusing,
>> however
>> to my knowledge there are at least 5 people that are experiencing
>> 10-15%
>> CPU usage when the frontend isn't doing anything.  This also seems to
>> be
>> appearing over multiple platforms (some with Ubuntu/Debian, some with
>> others, some with glibc others with eglibc).
>> Forgetting for a moment, any mention of timestamps, NFS shares, or
>> runaway
>> processes - the mythfrontend process in its raw state (in my case, out
>> of
>> the Ubuntu repositories) seems to idle intermittently at 15% CPU.
>> This is
>> *not* normal operation for an application, IMO, and there is
>> definitely a
>> bug here.  I am just struggling with my limited skills to understand
>> whether it is a mythtv bug, a library bug, or a kernel bug, although
>> Jansen's polling idea sounds interesting.
>>
>> Can I ask what platforms you are using and whether you experience
>> *this
>> exact issue*?
>
> Ubuntu 9.10, 64-bit, security backports updates, main universe
> multiverse restricted
> Medibuntu
> JYA .22-fixes release testing
> VDPAU
> GL rendering
> GF 8400GS (G98)
>
> System here:
> http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc/
>
> Yes, experiencing the 15% idle as described.
>
> Nico

Here is a "me too" :
Hardware : Zotac ION-ITX-C with an atom 230, no cpu scaling, HT
disabled, geforce 9400.
Software : debian sid 32-bit, mythtv 0.22-fixes r22772, nvidia driver
190.42, GL rendering

Will it help if I can say that when exiting mythtv, I got an error
message telling that one thread has die properly (I don't remember the
exact message, but this is the essence of it). When using a theme with
alphapulse activated on some widget, the number of thread that doesn't
die properly is equals to the number of widget with alphapulse seen :
If a menu has alphapulse and the ui of recording too, I will then get
this error with 3 thread.

Guillaume