[mythtv-users] Putting the mythconverg_backup.pl in a cron job

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Tue Nov 17 13:16:43 UTC 2009

Harry Devine wrote:
> I did echo the DBBackupDirectory into ~/.mythtv/backuprc like the wiki
> says, but I just checked my backup directory and the file isn't there.
> So it appears like it didn't run.  How can I determine why it hasn't?
> Are there any logs that I can check?

cron itself should have a log file, either dumping into /var/log/messages
like most other stuff, or maybe into its own file like /var/log/cron -
this will depend on how your system is set up.

It sounds like the command isn't being run at all, as I would expect the
command to otherwise produce some output which would be emailed to the
user (have you checked emails for all likely users, including yourself,
mythtv and root users?). If this is the case (that cron isn't running it
at all), then I would expect some cron output to a log file to say why it
hasn't run. Not sure whether you would need to restart the cron daemon
after changing the central files? I run the backup through a local user in
the user's crontab file, so I don't have much experience with changing the
global files.
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop
for all manner of hand crafted items,
including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts