[mythtv-users] Big reinstall 2/ FC12 planned; repository advice needed

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Nov 17 16:20:27 UTC 2009

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On 11/16/2009 10:31 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
< big snip>

> Am I thinking of the same script? The one that yum installs a bunch of
> build dependencies? From ATrpms and/or RPM Fusion? If so, then, what's
> the difference? Either way, you need a repo config'd, then its just a
> matter of yum installing a bunch of build dependencies.

< another big snip>
> Um... What? I think you're misunderstanding what yum-builddep does. It
> primarily installs a bunch of -devel packages. i.e., all the ones needed
> to build MythTV from source. It takes advantage of the spelled out rpm
> BuildRequires in either the ATrpms or RPM Fusion MythTV packages, but it
> doesn't actually *install* MythTV packages, just the build deps.

Yes! Pure unadulterated misunderstanding. I have never used
yum-builddep. Thought you were referring to the actual myth packages.
you head-faked me with the 'one-line' reference. I mistook that as
referring to the installation of the mythtv packages.

So yes, yum-builddep does make the script redundant. Guess I won't
bother to do a F12 update!

Geoff