[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 21:31:34 UTC 2009

> 1. Some low-ish but non-trivial CPU utilization, like 5-15%, when
> sitting "idle" on a menu screen.  This is most likely due to the
> so-called "alpha pulse" issue.  There seems to be a lot of confusion
> over this, so let me explain in more detail.  <snip> There are several
> performance problems
> with the current implementation, as documented in #7525.

I understand what you and others prior are saying about the alpha pulse, its
just not adding up for me.  Here's why I struggle with alpha pulse being the
root cause:

If your assumption (that the alpha pulse implementation is the root cause)
is correct, this would imply that EVERYONE with 0.22 would be experiencing
this same behavior.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like that
is the case.  If everyone is not experiencing this behavior, please explain
why not, and how I can be one who doesn't experience this.

If everyone is having this issue (aka intended behavior), I'll shut up and
deal with it.  If, however, it is a select few that are having the issue,
there must be a way to get around it for us. (assuming its not a bug).  I'm
open to anything short of a distro change, compile options, theme changes,
settings changes.  If its NOT an issue for everyone there must be something
that is different...which is the path I was taking when I started the
thread.