[mythtv-users] MythMusic Request

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 18:47:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:

> James Oltman wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:10 AM, Richard Morton
>> <richard.e.morton at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Have a look at musicbrainz to ease the meta editing.
>>> I have quitwe a few more than 3000 to work through but it needs doing.

>> I have to agree with Richard....
>

> Jim and Richard:
>
> I will have to check this out.  Until now, I thought that MusicBrainz was
> just an online database.  Thanks very much!
>
> Bob

Pickard is pretty awesome app for fixing up MP3s.

If it doesn't find a match, it can actually scan the MP3 and create a
unique identifier (Acoustic Fingerprint:
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Acoustic_Fingerprint) for it and then based
on the that it will try to match it against the MusicBrainz DB. Slow,
but helpful if your tags are a mess...

The other app (Windows only) I use is MP3TAG http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html
If you music is sorted nicely by folders you can do bulk edits to fix
the Tags based on the folders/file names, etc. Based on what you need
to do (set the Genre to Match the directory name), it is probably an
even quicker choice than MBP.

Simply open all MP3s from one folder into MP3TAG. Then set the Genre
and save the change. It will leave all the other tags alone, but
overwrite Genre to the string you set.

Good luck!

Robin