[mythtv-users] HDMI and audio

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 21:56:28 UTC 2009

This is why I overanalyze... and why I suffer from it...

I started wondering about how audio was going to get to my TV via the
HDMI connection that I intend to use between the Myth box and the TV.
As far as I can tell, my TV (a 37" Vizio) doesn't have any menu items
to specify which audio sources should be associated with a particular
video source.  So, it seems to me that the only way I'll be able to
listen to audio through the television is if it is transmitted along
the HDMI cable.

I have seen various posts about jumpering the onboard audio to the
video card, so I took a look at the manual for the mobo I had selected
(ASRock  A780GMH/128M) and it claims that it only has an optical
S/PDIF output.  So, I think that means this isn't going to work for
me.

The mobo has an AMD 780G northbridge with an integrated ATI Radeon HD
3200 video chipset.  Does anybody know if the onboard audio is
magically routed to that chipset?

If I go with the recommended nVidia chipset on a separate card, will I
be able to get the audio routed to that w/o the connector?

Basically, I don't know what I don't know here.  So I'm going to go
off on a digital-audio-over-hdmi hunt (in fact, I've already started
it), and I would sure appreciate any tips or pointers for where to go
to figure this out, short of buying a mobo that won't work w/ my TV.

--wpd