[mythtv-users] Poll: Anyone NOT experiencing >10% cpu in the menu on 0.22 ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 18 22:01:48 UTC 2009

On 11/18/2009 04:28 PM, jansenj wrote:
> Sorry for the branch from my original thread: Mythfrontend idle cpu
> consumption help.  I thought I'd try to get the attention of those that may
> have efficiently working machines...if they're out there.
>
> There seems to be people in the original thread that seem to think the issue
> I'm having IS happening to EVERYONE, and that this is by design. I see 14%
> utilization from mythfrontend when it just sits idle on a menu screen while
> the cpu is clocked at 1Ghz.  With 0.21, I'm pretty sure it hovered between
> 0-2% utilization (what I'm calling normal).
>
> So, as the Subject says, this a quick poll for those of you who have 0.22
> installed.  (I'm especially interested in those that are ubuntu based).
>
> Who has a "normal" working 0.22 install and only sees 0-2% CPU utilization
> when sitting idle on mythfrontend menu screens.  If this describes the
> behavior of your install, could you help me out in giving a short
> description of your system.

On my Athlon X2 5000+ running in Performance mode (full 2.6GHz CPU clock
and full-speed RAM).  All tests below performed with OpenGL theme
painter and with nvidia's UseEvents option enabled (it's disabled by
default).

In the menus:

  - All themes: I get 1-3% CPU usage (usually about 1% or 2%)

with OpenGL sync to vblank in nvidia-settings disabled.  If I enable
OpenGL sync to vblank:

  - Graphite and G.A.N.T: I get 40-60% CPU usage
  - All other themes: I get 4-10% CPU usage

In Watch Recordings:

  - Terra and Graphite: I get 10-15% CPU usage (whether I enable OpenGL
sync to vblank or not)
  - Mythbuntu: I get 0% CPU usage without OpenGL sync to vblank and
5-10% with
  - G.A.N.T: I get 3-6% CPU usage without OpenGL sync to vblank and
10-15% with

Mike