[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 18 22:46:59 UTC 2009

On 11/18/2009 05:37 PM, jansenj wrote:
>> Since you seem to be using CPU frequency scaling, if you're using an AMD
>> processor, frequency scaling may decrease the memory speed/bandwidth, which
>> could artificially increase the CPU usage.  Can you test it with the
>> governor set to Performance?
>  As I think I said before, I think this almost seems like a "busy wait"
> somewhere.  Because when I told my cpu to go to 2Ghz, it STILL utilized
> 14%.  Something is consuming ~130ms of time every second almost regardless
> of CPU speed.

Yes, there's a very tight select/poll loop in Qt's event dispatcher for
*nix systems that can be hit in some circumstances.  But it's all just a
"wait for something" loop, so it doesn't really affect anything else
running on the system (as it's fine waiting while something else runs or
while the loop runs).

Mike