[mythtv-users] envyng broke mythbuntu 9.10

greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Wed Nov 18 23:14:34 UTC 2009

Daniel Born wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First post here but I've been following the list for a while.
> I'm new to Myth, I bought an HD-PVR a while back and was waiting for Myth 0.22. I first played around with 9.04 and re-installed fresh when 9.10 came out.
>
> As I was setting things up, I noticed that the channel guide was being very slow (like 2 seconds to go up or down but pretty quick left/right).
>
> Anyway, I had the "bright idea" to try using envyng to install the latest nvidia drivers (which didn't seem like they were installed). I read a bit about vdpau and all that but it still isn't clear what I have (had?) and what I need.
>
> So, now I have no more X server running, when I boot the machine, I get alot of blinking about starting/stopping the ntp server and then a signon prompt. I looked at the log files and it mentions that X finds no screen.
> Aside from a total reinstall, what can I do to restore this? I was going to download and install the latest drivers from the nvidia website. At this point, I figure I don't have much to lose beside my time...
>
> Any suggestions? :)
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

You can go in and edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and change where it
says "nvidia" change it to "nv"....That should get your machine to load
your X server...There is a number of ways to edit that file..I have used
the livecd..
Just boot to the livecd,then goto places on the toolbar..You should see
your drives listed.. Click on the drive that contains your OS,and mount
the drive.. Then you have to bring up a terminal and change to root,then
use gedit to edit the xorg.conf.. Reboot and you should be good to go...
There are simplier ways, but if you are new then,it might be better to
do what i said here...If there is a way simpler way, i am sure someone
will chime  in...