[mythtv-users] HDMI and audio

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 23:48:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
> At this point, I'm not running any version of alsa, as I have not
> built the box yet.  I'm still in the information gathering stage,
> trying to be as careful as possible to choose hardware that will work
> with my TV.  Today's panic attack was brought about by a thread I read
> a few days ago (see
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/406672) in which a
> user was having difficulties getting HDMI audio to work with his Vizio
> TV.   (Gee, I've got a Vizio TV as well.)

The poster in that thread was talking about a Vizio TV with a DFP
interface, which is different from HDMI.

I have two 32" Vizio LCD TVs (different models) for which I'm sending
audio over HDMI.  Maybe your TV is different, but on both of mine,
there is one HDMI input that also has an analog stereo audio input.
This was a godsend while I was trying to figure out how to get audio
over HDMI.  In the end, my audio problem was because the Vizio's EDID
over HDMI doesn't offer a setting at the panel's native resolution,
and I was overaggressively telling the driver to ignore the EDID to
the point where the driver didn't think the TV had audio-over-HDMI
capability.

Jim