[mythtv-users] 0.22 on a Via SP13000 anyone?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Nov 19 15:56:39 UTC 2009

Robin Gilks wrote:
> I thought I'd dig out my old Via Epia SP13000 mini-ITX board as a spare
> frontend for guests etc.
>
> I'm seeing the following error in Xorg.0.log
> (EE) CHROME(0): [XvMC] ViaXvMCCreateSurface: Too many surfaces !
>
> which makes me think that its a 0.22 specific problem as I'm running the
> 904 openchrome driver, the same as on 0.21 but I have updated the kernel
> from 2.6.25 to 2.6.30 (the versions in between seem to have DRI driver
> problems with openchrome). One other oddity - I can't seem to get it to
> run realtime.

Something to do with the size of the surfaces. I don't remember the
details any more, but a quick troll of the archive retrieved something I
wrote earlier this year.

 >> If you are compiling fixes, as distinct to just installing an rpm, you
 >> could also try re-compiling the source after changing
 >>
 >> mythtv/libs/libmythtv/util-xvmc.h:56: max_num_xvmc_surfaces(16),
 >> to:
 >> mythtv/libs/libmythtv/util-xvmc.h:56: max_num_xvmc_surfaces(14),

This lets xvmc create its surfaces.
You also need to, or course, have the libViaXvMC file listed in
XvMCConfig, to have explicitly listed all the extra modules in your
xorg.conf, and ensured that DRI is set to mode 666.

Since you are resurrecting the box, you probably have these already set.
The surfaces issue is quite obscure.

Geoff