[mythtv-users] Jamu and wath recordings

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:35:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> wrote:

> - Why is there no interactive mode? There are ambiguous results from TVDB
> too, and jamu already picked fanart from wrong movies/series.

Jamu is a tool to make your life more convenient.  It is a best-effort
tool.  It is *not* meant to be perfect, and the user uses its
automatic modes (and this is one of them) knowing that no program can
read the user's (or the broadcaster's) mind.  Doug wrote Jamu after I
implemented the basic Fanart/Banner/Coverart support for Watch
Recordings to make people's lives easier, so that they wouldn't have
to learn the naming schemes used by the image hunt.

> - Why doesn't jamu try IMDB or TMDB if searching for a movie that it can't
> find on TVDB?

Jamu *does* check TMDB for movies already.  Jamu attempts to determine
(based on the accuracy of your guide data) whether an item is a film.
Again, best-effort and nothing is perfect.  Even when I get around to
writing the code to have the backend do the work, it still won't be
perfect.

> - Not exactly related to recordings mode of jamu, and probably hasn't been
> implemented yet: why is there no W shortcut for loading art in the
> recordings view?

Because it's a metric crapload of work.  Currently, metadata handling
is only included in MythVideo.  There is a ton of code related to the
metadata download, and twice that much code determining how to deal
with the data once we've got it.  To make metadata handling available
in Watch Recordings, I/someone needs to write a generic metadata
handling class/classes that can be used anywhere.  In this case the
handling of image download would probably happen similarly to preview
generation.  There's also cleanup to contend with, and all sort of
other complexities, as well as my having a fairly specific idea of how
I want to do it.  It's a lot of work, and I have a mortgage to pay.

Additionally, we have discussed some fairly sweeping database changes
regarding MythVideo and recordings, and until we sort out how we're
going to proceed on those, it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to go
adding (potentially soon-to-be-redundant) image fields into
programinfo.

Robert