[mythtv-users] FC8 --> F12 Upgrade: MythTV doesn't work with LIRC anymore

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Nov 19 19:41:27 UTC 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 1:25 PM, Andrew Junev wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was successfully using Fedora Core 8 with MythTV 0.21 for a long time
> now. With the recent release of 0.22, I started to plan a global
> upgrade. I thought it would be good to upgrade Fedora on all of the
> machines first and then to continue with MythTV 0.22 itself.
>
> So I started with a frontend-only machine, upgrading it using a
> 'preupgrade' to FC12. It went more or less fine, with just a few minor
> issues that I could solve myself. The machine is now up and running, I
> only have two problems:
>

> 1. HDMI Audio pass-through from my 8600GT to a SONY TV does not work.
> It was definitely working in FC8. I didn't analyze it yet, so it might
> be just a misconfiguration in alsamixer, or it might be an 190.42
> NVidia driver problem. I still have to check it out.
>

> 2. My mythfrontend doesn't work with LIRC anymore. And this is
> weird! After upgrade to FC12 I recognized that lirc_atiusb module is
> not shipped anymore. It took me some time to discover how to set up
> and use 'atilibusb' instead. Now my LIRC seem to work fine, at least I
> can see the keypresses in 'irw'. But my mythfrontend still refuses to
> accept lirc commands.

I presume you have your lircrc file button names matching the button names in lircd.conf after updating it for atilibusb?

> I'm still using an old MythTV 0.21:
>
> # mythfrontend --version
> Please include all output in bug reports.
> MythTV Version   : 19114M
> MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
> Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
> Network Protocol : 40
>
> When mythfrontend starts, I see the following error:
>
> mythtv: could not connect to socket
> mythtv: No such file or directory
> 2009-11-19 18:43:20.089 lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding messages
>
> Unfortunately, passing '-v all' to the mythfrontend does not provide
> any additional information regarding lirc. So I don't know which file
> my mythfrontend is trying to open...
>
> I checked that /dev/lircd exists and is accessible by my mythtv user:
> $ ls -l /dev/lircd
> srw-rw-rw- 1 mythtv mythtv 0 2009-11-19 21:12 /dev/lircd

That looks... wrong. With Fedora 12 (lirc 0.8.6, really), your lircd socket should be /var/run/lirc/lircd, unless you've done something to change it. But the socket move also requires adjusting a pref somewhere in the frontend to tell it to look at the new location as well. (this was an upstream lirc change, fwiw, not a Fedora-specific one, though Fedora could stand to add a symlink to the old location for the benefit of mythtv users, which is what ubuntu did, iirc).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com