[mythtv-users] What flavor of Linux are you using?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 01:55:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Andy Hohenner <hohenner at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm in the process of building a new system for MythTV, and am using this as
> a chance to practice and try something new, so installing from scratch (SVN)
> and trying out versions of Linux I've not used before...
>
> Just tried building with Fedora 11, but just found out they took out the
> ability to automatically log in (atleast without making edits to conf files
> that I don't completely understand), so considering trying another version.
>
> What flavor of Linux is everyone running?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Actually, I have my frontend setup to start automatically without ever
actually logging in, as such, at all.  I just have this in my
/etc/inittab, in place of one of the original existing virtual
terminals:

# TERMINALS
c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
c2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
c3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
c4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
c5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
#c6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux
c6:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/openvt -fwc 2 -- /bin/su -l -c
"/usr/bin/startx > /dev/null" mythtv

The original console line there is commented out.  Then all you need
to do is to get mythfrontend to start as part of that window manager
session.  I use fluxbox and have ~/mythtv/.fluxbox/startup set to
start mythfrontend.

That also respawns if it stops for any reason, so in the event of any
sort of rare freeze or whatever, ctrl-alt-backspace restarts the
frontend.

I've actually never even set a password for the mythtv user.

Tom