[mythtv-users] Jamu and wath recordings

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Fri Nov 20 05:16:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Doug Vaughan <r.d.vaughan at rogers.com> wrote:
> Nick,
>   What do you not understand about getting something for nothing? Jamu has a
> GPL2 license so if you do not like what it does or not do, then role up your
> sleeves and code. Just this week two people have submitted patches for Jamu
> and one has already been committed. I welcome patches as it improves the
> script for everyone and allows me to write/support my other scripts
> (tvdb.py, tmdb.py and MiroBridge.py).
>
> Between support and answering user questions I am kept very busy. I wrote
> these scripts to give back to the MythTV developer's a little bit of what
> they gave me for free.
>
> If you do not know how to code then python, which is what jamu is written
> in, is a good starter language.

And the FOSS "get off my f-ing lawn" stereotype lives on.  What Nick
commented was not unreasonable, nor were his suggestions for an
eventual GUI driven JAMU replacement out of line.  He was commenting
on how an alternative product does things, and when corrected that
JAMU was a stopgap measure without a UI he responded gracefully.

Is there really a need to drive people away like this?