[mythtv-users] Can Myth 'tune' these 'free' converter boxes?

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 05:50:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are no posts on the link you gave for the Bay Area since April,
> 2008 so that's probably all changed.
>
> Once possibility might be to tune the STB using either 1394 or the IR
> Link and then record in analog using my old PVR-150's? Same quality
> we'd get from the free tuners but access to all the subscribed
> channels I think...
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
Mark,
According to Silicon Dust
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineup_web/US:95030#lineup_1135827
comcast is currently providing 127 channels in Los Gatos unencrypted
over QAM.  You don't need their HDHomerun (although I would highly
recommend it), any QAM tuner will do.  There's an outfit in Livermore,
Retek Direct, selling myth-compatible ATI HDTV Wonder PCI cards for
$14 a piece on fleabay.  I'm using one now, for when I need to record
Disney, Sprout, and PBS all at the same time :)