[mythtv-users] FC8 --> F12 Upgrade: MythTV doesn't work with LIRC anymore

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Nov 20 14:01:16 UTC 2009

On Nov 20, 2009, at 8:22 AM, Andrew Junev wrote:

>>> The setting for LIRC Daemon socket is on page 9 of Setup:General, when
>>> running trunk.
>>> I don't think that setting existed in 0.21, though.
>
>>> You can also tell lircd where to create that file using --output:
>
>>> lircd --device=/dev/lirc1 --output=/dev/lircd
>
>> I'm already doing that:
>> LIRCD_OPTIONS="--driver=atilibusb --output=/dev/lircd"
>
>> And /dev/lircd is there and is accessible:
>> # ls -l /dev/lircd
>> srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 2009-11-20 08:26 /dev/lircd
>> #
>
>>> Pretty sure "old" place was /dev/lircd, so starting up lircd like that
>>> might make it work for you.
>
>> Unfortunately it does not... :-(
>> What else might be causing the problem?
>
> Hugh, it's not only mythfrontend that does not work with LIRC after
> upgrade to F12! I just realised mplayer does exactly the same, with a
> similar error message:
>
> MPlayer SVN-r29800-4.4.2 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
> mplayer: could not connect to socket
> mplayer: No such file or directory
> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
>
> So it looks like only 'irw' is working with my LIRC. :-(
> What do I do with it?!
>
> I'm really out of ideas...

Output of...

rpm -qa lirc\*

...please. I'm wondering if your lirc packages aren't quite in order after the big upgrade...

My F12 frontend where everything is working just fine:

$ rpm -qa lirc\*
lirc-0.8.6-1.fc12.x86_64
lirc-libs-0.8.6-1.fc12.x86_64

If you have anything different than that, I'd yank all the lirc bits currently installed and reinstall them.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com