[mythtv-users] One channel produces "killer" shows

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 16:05:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Kevin J. Cummings
<cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> On 11/20/2009 10:01 AM, Patrick Doyle wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Kevin Bailey
>> <ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org> wrote:
>>> I have a weird problem that I haven't seen any mention of.
>>> I can play shows from all channels except for one - CBS.
>>> I thought I just had one bad recording but I've learned
>>> that all recordings of all shows on the channel are "bad".
>> Are you receiving your shows OTA in the greater Boston area?  I was
>> playing with my television the other day and changed to channel 7-1
>> (which, I figure has a 1/3 chance of being CBS), and saw a prerecorded
>> message explaining that channel 7 had changed frequencies and that I
>> should do a rescan.  I did that, found channel 7-1 again, and disabled
>> the old channel 7-1.
>
> Yes, Channel 7, WHDH, NBC, was having problems with viewer reception in
> some areas on the frequency they were using (VHF 7), so they went back
> to they frequency they used during the analog/digital simulcast (UHF 42).

One thing that is noteworthy about CBS-HD is that it has an unusually
high bitrate compared to some of the other OTA HD channels such as NBC
and Fox.  I had considerable problems with Kaffeine and that channel,
which seemed to have gotten better in the newest version.  Beyond the
bitrate though, I haven't dug into whether there is anything else
unusual about the CBS-HD feed.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller