[mythtv-users] Mythbackend aborting while many mythbackend --generate-preview processes

Bob Cottingham bobnvic at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 05:16:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:03 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Bob Cottingham <bobnvic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My backend just aborted and my wife isn't happy because it didn't
>> record Medium.  There were 14 mythbackend --generate-preview 0x0
>> processes running.
>
> I can't help with a fix, but I can with a work-around.  Add a cron
> entry to kill the "run away" processes.  I have mine set to run every
> 7 minutes:
>
> */7 * * * * pkill -f generate-preview

So you are having this issue as well?  Did you submit a ticket for it?
 I found a few emails on the mailing list with people having the issue
but no real discussion or resolution.  I will give this a try as it is
currently extremely disruptive - my slave backend will only run for a
couple hours at most and my master backend stop commflagging after a
couple days and occasionally goes so far as to abort.  I really don't
understand why it is so much worse for the slave backend.