[mythtv-users] Odd audio problem. Can only get audio via spdif

stefan_jones at comcast.net stefan_jones at comcast.net
Sat Nov 21 05:33:29 UTC 2009

(NB: Abit motherboard, GeForce 7050/nForce 630 chipset.)

Before my Fedora 12 install, my system could play audio via the TV's speakers (connected to the mobo standard speaker out) (if the video was analog) or from my stereo system (for digital recordings), which has an spdif connection to my mobo. I could live with this.

Now I can only play via the spdif port, when ALSA:spdif is selected. And it works for both analog and digital recordings! I can't get any other ALSA device to work.

What puzzles me is that when I test my audio devices via Fedora's Settings / Multimedia section, I can get sound out of the standard speakers.

Fedora's multimedia section mentions a Pulse Audio device. Why doesn't this show up as a device under Myth? Maybe the ALSA devices are too low level?