[mythtv-users] PVR-350 won't record without reboot

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 21 14:25:19 UTC 2009

On Saturday 21 November 2009 07:16:44 greg wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Saturday 21 November 2009 06:47:31 Will Kennerly wrote:
> >> My backend has one PVR-350 tuner; the system is running MythTV 0.21 on
> >> Fedora 11.  I have had this system working well for several years.
> >>
> >> Some time ago, I think it was when the ivtv drivers became included in
> >> the official kernel, things went bad.  After a few recordings, the
> >> system would stop recording (leaving empty files for the video files).
> >> Only a reboot fixes it, but of course, only a few recordings complete
> >> successfully.
> >>
> >> The error message one sees in mythbackend.log is:
> >> MPEGRec(/dev/video) Error: select timeout - ivtv driver has stopped
> >> responding
> >>
> >> I've googled around for this.  Apparently many other people have had
> >> this problem (with other now antiquated PVR-x50 type cards) but I
> >> couldn't find any obvious common solution.  One person claimed moving
> >> the capture card to another PCI slot fixed it.  Another claimed getting
> >> the bleeding edge ivtv drivers to replace the kernel-provided ones
> >> worked.  (But I couldn't get these to compile - another issue, but I'm
> >> not too interested in that unless everyone here says that is the
> >> definite solution.)
> >>
> >> So, any ideas?
> >
> > The PVR-x50 cards are probably the most-used cards in Myth systems (at
> > least in the USA). Even with the move to digital, there is still a lot of
> > analog cable, and the cards are used to record the output of STBs and
> > satellite receivers.
> >
> > I would think anything that broke PVR support would be noticed at once,
> > and cause a flood of messages here.
> >
> > If it's true that moving PCI slots fixed the problem, it might be
> > hardware-related in some way (interrupts?).
> >
> > You have made me nervous about upgrading an SD-only system I use, I think
> > I'll replace it and keep it as it is, and just build a new system to run
> > 0.22.
>
> I have been using the PVR-150 cards for 4 years and of all the cards I
> have, it is the most reliable..It has never missed a scheduled program.
> I am on Ubuntu 9.04 and svn Myth 0.22...
>   To the OP,my understanding is the support for the 350 has been dropped.
> The reason given, there's no one to maintain it, and none of the dev's
> have one.....

I think that was only support for the 350 as a video output device, not as a
capture device.

I gave away my 350, but I still use several 150s, all of which still work
fine.

I'm not aware of any major difference between the 150 and the 350 when used as
a capture device, if anyone knows otherwise, please post that info here,
thanks.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org