[mythtv-users] OT: Nokia N900

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 17:49:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 11:15, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting stuff.
>
> I would think it is fairly trivial to hack the code to a) open a menu of
> front ends on startup
> b) open tv guide not live tv when selecting live tv
> c) instead of starting local playback (through program guide, mythmusic or
> mythvideo) connect to remote frontend using telnet and starting playback
> And then a little less trivial d) create an on screen remote control for
> remaining functions

This might (possibly) even allow the "tablet version" to drop a lot of
the frontend's code if all it needs to do is control what will be
displayed on another frontend. Which in turn could decrease the number
of dependencies to install... :)

> This would take this interface way way beyond mythtomer which from what I
> remember was a simple remote control interface on a tablet which doesn't use
> a tablets strengths or able to show dynamic content on the tablet.

While reading the first part of your message, I was thinking about
mythtomer for the control, but then you mentioned it :)  I have it
installed but almost never use it; I find the remote displayed on the
tablet's screen to be nearly unusable (the arrow keys, in particular,
are in a very awkward arrangement). And I agree, it doesn't take
advantage of the nature of the device.

> Unfortunately that post is 2 years old and I am on a mobile device, is the
> project still active?

The timestamps on the downloadable files in garage are dated March
2008, so it looks like not much work has been done in a while. Is a
shame. :(

aaron