[mythtv-users] Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Nov 22 03:47:26 UTC 2009

On Nov 21, 2009, at 6:31 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 00:38 -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> My lirc git tree is upstream linus + lirc. It doesn't have the not-even-in-v4l-dvb-hg-tip hdpvr IR part patches in it. You need those from elsewhere.
>
> Jarod, is there a guide somewhere to getting this working starting with
> a generic kernel.org kernel?

Just tack these onto a kernel.org 2.6.31.x and that should be it:

http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/F-12/kernel/hdpvr-ir-enable.patch?view=markup
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/F-12/kernel/lirc-2.6.31.patch?view=markup

You can also grab slightly newer (though in no way relevant to the HDPVR) lirc bits from my git tree.

> I did some hacking with the zilog a long
> time ago and found I needed to add the hdpvr to a table for it to be
> detected by lirc_zilog, but while it did send the requested IR the
> driver was reporting that it failed so LIRC reported failure. This was
> starting with Janne's git and using Linux 2.6.28, now that the hdpvr
> is in the kernel proper I'd like to set things up starting with 2.6.31.6
> and adding only necessary patches.

Yep, I recall seeing the same lirc behavior -- codes transmitted, but lirc still thought things had failed. Don't recall exactly if the fix was in lirc_zilog or the hdpvr driver, but I do recall that I did fix that. :)

> My USB-UIRT devices don't work with any recent kernels due to breakages
> in ftdi_sio, and the vendor doesn't appear interested in maintaining
> the Linux side of his business. So my interest in getting this working
> has increased again. My other option is lirc_serial, but that driver is
> freezes up the machine during IR transmissions.

USB-UIRT... Is that an lirc userspace driver that is busted? That's one of the few IR things I've not had the chance to play with...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com