[mythtv-users] What flavor of Linux are you using?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 07:52:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com> wrote:
> Me too - my masterbackend is also my proxy server for when I'm at work
> - it runs firefox for our quick lookups before we run out the door -
> and soon it will be the print server since I determined this Pos Epson
> wireless doesn't cue it's jobs. - I hit print , print started, I
> closed my MacBook and printing stopped midpage.
>
> I don't see why you need to compile every single package yourself to
> do any of the things we've mentioned so far. I have compiled lirc and
> myth since I'm testing payches - other than that I don't understand
> Gentoo's following.

control, ease of  making package files (ebuilds in gentoo, spec files
in .rpm distros, god knows what in .deb distros), flexibility, rolling
your own 'distro'

with that you sometimes get incompatibilities, developer stuffups,
inconsistencies between repos etc. But if you know what you are doing
and are prepared to spend time following whats going on its a great
choice.

I ran out of the necessary time - not for the compiling, but for the
concentrating on what needed doing.