[mythtv-users] UPNP on Xbox 360

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 22 13:20:04 UTC 2009

On 11/22/2009 04:15 AM, Anthony Giggins wrote:
>> Has anyone gotten this to work for recorded TV programs?  When I go into
>> the Video Library on the xbox, it finds my myth backend and lists my
>> videos but not my TV recordings.  When I go into the Music Library on the
>> xbox, it lists the TV shows under Albums and Artists, but you can't play
>> them.  It does list my songs when you select Songs.
>>
>> I don't know if there is a setting I'm missing or if this just isn't
>> working.
> Yes I get the same issue and have since 0.21 atleast, is the 2nd best way to
> get this fixed to lodge a trac ticket?
>
> * with the best way being to submit a bug and attach a patch :) *

Yes file a ticket--with Microsoft.

Microsoft XBox 360 UPnP support does not include support for MPEG
Systems streams, instead requiring specific MS-approved containers, and
does not include support for MPEG-2 or NuppelVideo coded video.  (Yes,
the XBox 360 DVD player plays MPEG-2 coded video, but obviously, anyone
with MPEG-2 that's not on a commercial, encrypted DVD is engaging in
nefarious activities.)

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-video-playback-faq.aspx

You can make MPEG-2 coded video work by having a Media Center Extender
that serves it (don't know if you could get that to work), or, you can
have a Windows box running (a supported version of) Windows Media Player
transcode it on the fly into a "Protected" WMV (i.e. WMV container with
"approved by MS Windows Media Player" DRM tags inside).  There are also
other apps that can transcode to the appropriate format.

The problem here is not Myth.

Mike