[mythtv-users] Adding new fields to a theme?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 22 13:50:20 UTC 2009

On 11/21/2009 10:14 AM, Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Alex McLintock wrote:
>
>> thethemes/Mythbuntu$ grep SUBTITLE *
>> recordings-ui.xml:            <template>%|"SUBTITLE|"% %STARS%
>> %DESCRIPTION%</template>
>> schedule-ui.xml:
>> <value>%|"SUBTITLE|"%\n%YEARSTARS%%DESCRIPTION%</value>
>> schedule-ui.xml:
>> <template>%|"SUBTITLE|"%\n%YEARSTARS%%DESCRIPTION%</template>
>> schedule-ui.xml:            <template>%|"SUBTITLE|"%\n%LONGREPEAT%%STARS|
>> %%DESCRIPTION%</template>
>>
>> So I go hunting around for documentation and I find a little on the wiki
>> such as
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythUI_Theme_Development#Tutorials
>>
>> but very very little of it says whether it is valid before 0.22, after 0.22,
>> or both!
>>

> That's a *little*?  (And have you tried clicking the links to the
> specific -ui.xml screens?)
>
> All MythUI documentation is refers to the current released version.
> Fields which refer only to the development version are in blue (like
> it says at the top of the page).
>
> The field you want is "filesize_str" which is referenced on the wiki
> pages for both of the abovereferenced -ui.xml pages.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recordings-ui.xml
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Schedule-ui.xml

And note that

a) file size /is/ available in the program details screen (hit U while
on the recording in Watch Recordings or Delete Recordings)--just like in
0.21-fixes.  However, you have to go to page 2 of the details.
b) the Delete Recordings screen has no capabilities that the Watch
Recordings screen lacks--they're completely identical, so anything that
can go in Delete Recordings can go in Watch Recordings.  This is why the
redundant screen was removed.

And before you say, "But it's just one more screen for the
completely-overworked themers to theme and would allow me to only show
<random info> some of the time," make sure you create a /complete/
MythUI theme.  And, perhaps the people who feel that the Delete
Recordings screen should be resurrected should do exactly the same.
Once they do, the "just one more screen," takes on a whole different
meaning.  :)

Mike

(I have not done a complete MythUI theme, but I've watched others do so
and understand the investment of time required to do so.)