[mythtv-users] Why does playback only use 1 core on some BluRay movies?

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 14:48:50 UTC 2009

> Does that hex number identify a different codec (even though they both say
> h264)? Is one of those codecs not designed to run dual cpu? If so, is there
> any way to upgrade that codec to a version that does, or is that built into
> myth (like maybe a part of the embedded copy of ffmpeg)? Does 0.22 handle
> this better (I'd rather not upgrade at this point, but if it's the only real
> solution, I'd consider it). Upgrading to a VDPAU card would probably help,
> but it's not an option at this time.

H264 can only utilize multithreaded decoding if it was encoded the
right way. I don't know all of the details. But from what I understand
H264 can be decoded with one thread per "slice". If it was encoded
with a single slice then it can only use a single core. I am not sure
how check for the number of slices to confirm if this is the case for
you.