[mythtv-users] What flavor of Linux are you using?

Manuel McLure manuel at mclure.org
Sun Nov 22 19:01:33 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gentoo here, both 32-bit and 64-bit. Dreading compile time and debug
> for the upgrade to 0.22 and likely won't attempt it until the last
> possible moment.

Mark, the way I did it to make compile times less of an issue was to first do a

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge --onlydeps mythtv

at my leisure to install all of the dependencies (QT4 and such) - this
didn't affect the 0.21 install at all. Then I did

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge --buildpkgonly mythtv mythweb

to actually build but not install the package. Only then did I shut
down mythbackend and the database, change my package.keywords and do a

emerge --unmerge mythtv mythtv-themes mythtv-themes-extra mythvideo mythmusic
emerge -k mythtv mythweb

to install the previously built package. At that point I could do
mythtv-setup (required because of "partial corruption" with character
sets,) restart mythbackend and reinstall the plugins as needed. The
backend downtime was pretty short - definitely under an hour, probably
closer to 1/2 hour.
--
Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,