[mythtv-users] Question about using backup myth mysql dumps...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 23 00:12:09 UTC 2009

On 11/22/2009 12:28 PM, stuart wrote:
> In my hast, I have created a bunch of orphaned recordings (100+).
> Information about them still exists in the old mythtv data base, but I
> think putting the old mythtv data base back into mysql would be a
> mistake as the data base dump is months old. So, I've come to the
> conclusion the best thing to do is wade through the recordings, rename
> the keepers to something a human can read and place them into a mythtv
> video directory.
>
> However, I can't help but think it might be possible to still use the
> old mythtv data base dump to rename these files to something a human
> can read!  (That would be waaaay faster then spot checking them with
> video player!)
>
> Anyone have ideas on how to do this (i.e. use an old mysql data base
> dump to rename mythtv recordings)?

I'd argue that it would be better, easier, and you'd retain more and
better information if you restored the old database, then went through
and deleted all the shows whose files are missing.

It's a one-time process, the end result will be a database as clean as
one that had never had any orphaned recordings, and you'll save a lot of
time reconfiguring and a /ton/ of time trying to get the old recordings
back into Myth.

Mike