[mythtv-users] General purpose frontend for 300 bucks?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 00:30:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 22 November 2009 16:43:45 Nick Rout wrote:
>
>> > What about the Revo:
>> >
>> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228&cm_re=rev
>> >o-_-83-103-228-_-Product
>> >
>> > $100 less. Granted it has the ION-LE, but folks seem to think that will
>> > work OK, and there have been some posts here that seem to indicate the
>> > Revo will work well as a F/E only.
>> >
>> > I'm real close to ordering one, realizing that $200 is not all that much
>> > to lose if things don't work out.
>>
>> Well it'll be usable for SOMETHING, and eBay will reimburse you some
>> cost if it doesn't work.
>>
>> IIRC the revo lacks spdif, which may or may not be a consideration.
>
> I'm aware of no SPDIF, but reviewers have said they can get audio out of the
> HDMI port, which would imply digital audio. Of course you have to be careful
> of N/E's reiewers.
>
> Even if it were limited to analog audio, I still think it's a good deal for
> the money, and as you say, it's got to be good for *something* :-) A
> secondary "bedroom" frontend, that might not want digital audio, for $200
> seems quite reasonable to me.

<rant>Pity the poor kiwi, can't get the revo here except on the odd
auction site:

According to my bank $200US=$260.04NZ. The kiwi has been strong
against the greenback for quite some time too.

The only revo for sale on our biggest auction house:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/No-monitor/auction-255117833.htm

$620.00 starting bid and thats second hand!!!

I guess they are probably made in Asia, so both US and Kiwi retailers
have to freight them in. We simply get ripped off here.

</rant>