[mythtv-users] help picking FE/BE components

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 14:06:20 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 1:47 AM, David L <idht4n at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to mythtv and about to build my first system.  A frontend/backend
> system that I will also use when I work from home for compiling,
> running matlab etc, so I want more horsepower than myth alone would
> probably require.  Here's what I've tentatively picked so far:
>
> Processor:
> AMD Phenom II 965 Black 3.4 GHz X4
> http://www.frys.com/product/6023518

If it's a combined FE/BE, then you might be concerned about the noise
and power consumption.  (At least I was, as I just went through this
effort myself over the last 2 weeks or so).  So I focused on the low
power consumption Athlon Regor (at 65W).  I might have gotten one of
the 45W Semprons, but not being sure of what I was doing, I bumped the
processor up a notch, and hoped I might get one on the lower side of
the power consumption curve.

> Motherboard (this is the one I was least sure about, but I'd prefer to buy
> my case,mobo,processor, and ram together at a local brick&mortar shop,
> and this is one I found on Fry's web site as being compatible with Phenom II)
> Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5
> AMD 790FX + SB750 Chipset
> http://www.frys.com/product/5842583  ($49)
> or
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128377&Tpk=MA790FXT
> ($179???)
> (I must be missing something... why is NewEgg 3x the price?  Are these
> different motherboards with very similar part numbers?  If so, is the cheap
> Fry's one good enough?)

No clue, although I notice that the part number at Frys ends with -UD5
whereas the part number at Newegg ends with -UD5P.