[mythtv-users] What flavor of Linux are you using?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:17:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Manuel McLure <manuel at mclure.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Gentoo here, both 32-bit and 64-bit. Dreading compile time and debug
>> for the upgrade to 0.22 and likely won't attempt it until the last
>> possible moment.
>
> Mark, the way I did it to make compile times less of an issue was to first do a
>
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge --onlydeps mythtv
>
> at my leisure to install all of the dependencies (QT4 and such) - this
> didn't affect the 0.21 install at all. Then I did
>
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge --buildpkgonly mythtv mythweb
>
> to actually build but not install the package. Only then did I shut
> down mythbackend and the database, change my package.keywords and do a
>
> emerge --unmerge mythtv mythtv-themes mythtv-themes-extra mythvideo mythmusic
> emerge -k mythtv mythweb
>
> to install the previously built package. At that point I could do
> mythtv-setup (required because of "partial corruption" with character
> sets,) restart mythbackend and reinstall the plugins as needed. The
> backend downtime was pretty short - definitely under an hour, probably
> closer to 1/2 hour.
> --
> Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
> ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
> no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft

Thanks.  That's actually a pretty good idea.  However, I'd suggest
that rather than using the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS approach, it'd be better to
just put mythtv temporarily in /etc/portage/package.keywords.

With that ACCEPT_KEYWORDS I'd think you'd risk installing unstable
versions of dependencies, maybe even for qt4 (unless they happen to be
hard masked).

Tom