[mythtv-users] 9.10/0.22 playback causes drive problems

Jonno jonnojohnson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 17:47:34 UTC 2009

Since upgrading to Mythbuntu 9.10 I've been having major problems when
trying to watch recorded shows. I get occasional visual abberrations
combined with an audio distortion that sounds a bit like a light
saber. After a while the show will freeze and I get a message that
there were too many frame buffers or something like that. It also
makes the drive I store recordings on inaccessible and I find I have
to reboot.

My setup is an ASUS P1-AH2 barebones system with on-board Nvidia 6150
graphics. There is an IDE drive which hosts the system and then a SATA
drive (xfs) which hosts the recordings. Everything ran fine on
Mythbuntu 9.04

At first I noticed that the recordings drive was heavily (>90%)
fragmented so I've been working on that but now it is <12% fragmented
and the problems are still happening. It also happens on new
recordings which shouldn't be fragmented at all. I've run xfs_repair
also and it doesn't seem to come up with any error messages.

Has there been a major change in 0.22 that could mean my 6150 chipset
can't keep up with the graphics display?
Is there a way to check that the problem is with playback rather than
in the recording process?
I could add a graphics card but this will mean removing the wireless
card which in turn means getting around to wiring ethernet cable to
the tv which I haven't found time to do. I'd like to first figure out
if that is really the problem.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Jonno.