[mythtv-users] USB Flash Memory for boot/system. What is fast enough?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 18:06:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> well, i guess i'll skip the USB Flash for the moment and go straight
> to netboot.  i do have an 8GB USB Flash key available if i can't get
> netboot working, but it sounds like netboot is the way to go and will
> save me a little bit of money.
> swap won't be an issue.  RAM is cheap so i'm using more than enough.
> i'm networked with CAT5e and can swap out the switch from 100MB to
> 1000MB if i find a decent deal on GB switches.

Some distributions, such as Ubuntu/MythBuntu, include tools to
automatically set up a netboot system.  If you're using such a
distribution, never mind what I wrote below...

I'm using MythDora, and to the best of my knowledge, it includes no
such tool, so I had to stumble around and figure it out myself.  If
things don't go right, booting just fails, and unless you've done this
before, it can be very hard to figure out why it failed.  So my advice
is to set up your system on a flash drive and use it as a fallback
while working on setting up netboot.  Once the flash drive is set up
properly, clone it onto the NFS server ("rsync -avHx --delete
--progress" is my tool of choice).

Jim