[mythtv-users] For HD Myth users, what is/was your cost?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Nov 23 21:44:47 UTC 2009

On Monday 23 November 2009 14:27:52 Travis Tabbal wrote:

> If you want to supplement with online sources that are flash based like
> Hulu, you need more CPU in the frontend boxes. You can build uATX based
> machine with a pretty fast dual-core AMD for not much more than the $200
> for the Revos if you want that. If you can find sources of h264 or MPEG2
> video without Flash, the Revos will work fine. It's Flash that sucks, not
> the videos themselves. If Adobe would implement VDPAU, this would be a
> non-issue.

If you want to have multiple frontends capable of displaying flash content,
like Hulu, you might consider something like the PlayOn server, which does on
the fly transcoding of flash material to MPEG2, which requires very little to
play back.

Granted PlayON is Windows-only at present, but there may be some Linux
alternative that can accomplish the same thing, and thus eliminate the need
for more powerful CPUs in every frontend. MediaTomb can do transcoding,
though I don't think it can handle flash (yet).

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org