[mythtv-users] For HD Myth users, what is/was your cost?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 23:32:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:08 PM, MarcT <myrdhn at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am curious what the total cost is/was for you to get everything up and
> running (asides from time, which depending on whom you are may be the
> priciest...).
>
> So for example, an HD capture card, a capable backend, the frontend(s) of
> course, the subscription to a provider and/or an antenna-- and if an
> antenna, did you do it yourself? Order it online, buy from a shop, hire
> someone to install, etc.? Not necessarily asking for the life story but some
> brief explanation of the components as I'm really trying to get a gauge on
> what entering this arena may cost me, and whether it's /worth/ it or not...

The problem with a thread like this is that its like saying "how much
does a 3 bedroom house cost" or "how much to buy  4 door car". Do you
want a minimal combined FE/BE HD system or one thats going to see you
out for a few years in terms of storage, multiple frontends, multiple
recording devices etc.

I think its almost better to either:

1. define exactly what sort of system you want and then ask for ideas
on hardware/pricing; or

2. do a bit of research on hardware and then say "does this look
reasonable in terms of price and functionality?"

And that will be 2c please :)