[mythtv-users] For HD Myth users, what is/was your cost?

JEDIDIAH jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Nov 23 23:44:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 03:47:53PM -0700, Travis Tabbal wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 3:11 PM, JEDIDIAH <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>

> >   Now my master backend is a big ugly thing meant to be as convenient as
> > possible. ($600 for the basic system, $150 for the hot swap rack, plus the
> > cost of drives)
> >

> Quite so. My master backend lives in a VM on my file server. It's a big ugly
> beast, but it also has the hot-swap racks and such to make maintence easy. 8
> total drive bays with 4 more planned when I get money to order the drives.
> Primary OS is OpenSolaris as I wanted ZFS. The VM is running Ubuntu 9.10
> with Myth and the netboot server. The Frontends are diskless. If I were to
> buy the Revo boxes, I'd remove the HDD and netboot them. The HDD would
> become a backup tape. :)

...this is something else that I do with my own frontend boxes.

I started doing it with my minis and now do the same with my IONs. These
boxes keep coming with more and more disk space on them and I am not using
any more of it. I don't net boot. I just boot from the internal disk but
I only use about 4G of it.

An asrock 330 has a 320G hard drive. That's lots of backup potential.

For some stuff, I have a backup copy on each frontend...