[mythtv-users] Video noise or distortion across very top edge of image

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue Nov 24 16:04:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I don't follow you - I'm using VDPAU on the playback profiles -
> > There's VDPAU Slim, Normal and High Quality.
> >
> > Where do these Temporal 2X and Advanced 1x come in?
>
> These are the deinterlacers. the Slim, Normal, and High are
> preconfigured profiles that have selected different deinterlacers for
> varying capabilities of the cards. Edit one of those playback profiles
> to see where you can pick the deinterlacer. Or better yet, create your
> own profile and choose the deinterlacer that is appropriate for your
> card.

You could also ask your cable box to output everything in 720p instead. Or
have the HD-PVR only encode things that way, then you never have to worry
about deinterlacing on your FE. Most of the time, I can't tell the
difference in quality between 1080i and 720p and just prefer to have
progressive so I don't have to fool with deinterlacing. On a nice big
screen, 1080p certainly looks better, if you have a bluray to view. Not much
else is available at that resolution.

Did you set the CPU clock speed up for your FE box? Check the wiki,
aparently, the CPU downclocking can cause memory bandwidth starvation for
the GPU. Bumping up the clock can help a lot with stuttering. I'm on an 8300
as well for one of my FEs and it works a lot better after doing that little
hack. I believe I have that FE set to use Advanced 1x on 1080i content. I
created my own VDPAU profile so I could control it all, I also increased the
VDPAU buffers, but that was for a few problem files in MythVideo. TV
recordings don't need it.