[mythtv-users] For HD Myth users, what is/was your cost?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 24 16:32:30 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 09:05:03 Jim Morton wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > But the bottom line is, detailed explantions about how we all built our
> > systems are probably not the most useful way for people today to make
> > decisions about how to go about building a system. Many wrong turns and
> > dead ends can be avoided by looking at what the final results are, not
> > the routes we took to get there.
> >
> > Costs are so variable with time and location that it's unlikely anyone
> > would be able to precisely duplicate them, and the present day cost of
> > hardware is easily determined without having to poll hundreds of users.
>
> This is all true for the seasoned Myth user but for someone just getting
> into it or considering getting in to it, real world costs are quite
> valuable for putting things in perspective. The more recent the better.
> The op is not looking for exact prices/specs in order to duplicate a
> system. In fact, he did not ask for "detailed explanations about how we
> all built our systems", he was trying to see the big picture and decide
> if it is worth it for him. IMO there is no better way than to ask those
> that have done it.
>
> Me thinks you may want to re-read the original post. :-)

True, I was just pointing out that cost info is very transient.

A lot of work has gone into posting information on the WiKi that should help a
lot in deciding what hardware to look at, anyone comtemplating building a
Myth system should spend time perusing that very useful site.

One thing people contemplating getting into Myth should relaize is that it is
generally NOT a way to save money on a DVR system. It's a way to get a
superior system with features not available elsewhere.

The Myth experience will be a lot smoother for people already familiar with
Linux. Those who choose Myth as their first Linux experience face a steep
learning curve, though of course many have successfully negotiated it.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org