[mythtv-users] Hidden Silicon Dust channel guide wonderfulness

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Nov 24 18:08:20 UTC 2009

At 9:40 AM -0500 11/24/09, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:36 PM,  <stefan_jones at comcast.net> wrote:
>>  The Silicon Dust site is indeed wonderful. And it has hidden secrets! If you
>>  View Page Source, you'll see XML data for all of those channels.
>
>I don't know where they get their data, but I haven't found it to be
>100% reliable.  For my zip code, the channel maps I get by scanning
>Comcast cable seem to differ from what they have on the web.

There a few things to consider:

1. The data might be days or weeks out-of-date, since it's generated
automatically by users' own HDHRs.

2. The data might not represent all possible combinations of cable
service. If the users who ran the scan don't subscribe to the most
expensive tier of programming, the site won't show all the possible
channels.

3. If there isn't any data available for your ZIP code, the site
makes a best guess based on proximity. For me, it shows the cable
lineup from a town about 20 miles away, which is slightly different.